THEATRICAL RELEASE: January, 31 2008 ( Hong Kong
DIRECTOR: Stephen Chow
SCREENWRITERS: Stephen Chow
ACTORS: Stephen Chow, Kitty Zhang, Lam Chi Chung, Xu Jiao, Yuen Qiu, Danny Chan Kwok Kuen, Tin Kai Man
STUDIO: Columbia Pictures
Stephen Chow Sing-Chi, the acclaimed director of the successful movies like Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle has come up with new sci-fi comedy title called “CJ7” (previously titled “A Hope”). That means, more fresh new comedy goodies from the Master of Comedy.
Photos by: Sina
“CJ7″ ( Chinese: ‘Chang Jiang qi hao‘ is an upcoming 2008 science fiction/comedy film written, produced and directed by Stephen Chow, who also stars in the film.
In August 2007 the film was given the title “CJ7“, a play on China‘s successful Shenzhou manned space missions – Shenzhou 5 and Shenzhou 6. It was previously been known by a series of working titles – Alien, Yangtze River VII, Long River 7 and most notably, A Hope.
It was filmed in Ningbo, in the Zhejiang province. According to IMDb, filming is now complete and a 2007 release is expected.
- As with the title “CJ7″, the earlier working titles, Yangtze River VII and Long River 7, referred to the Chinese manned space program. The mission of Shenzhou 6 was completed in 2006 and the real Shenzhou 7 is set to launch in September 2008.
- The film will have a budget of $20 million US, and will be heavy on CG effects.
- Chow plays a man who lives in a partly demolished house. He takes in a homeless boy (who is actually played by a girl, Xu Jiao). Whether the semi-demolished house and the homeless boy are on Earth, or on the alien planet is not clear. As Chow’s character can’t afford to buy a toy for the child, he finds a makeshift toy in the garbage and brings it back to his “son”. The “toy” is actually a powerful alien device and the aliens are desperate to get it back. Some rumors state that it is a “pet” rather than a “toy”.
- The reason Chow’s character can’t afford to buy the child a toy is because he is fired without pay from his part-time job as a construction worker. His boss is a contractor played by Lam Chi Chung.
- Chow plays an astronaut who crashes his spacecraft on another planet. He befriends an android translator ( played by Kitty Zhang who can communicate with aliens.
- Scenes include Chow’s character being taken to hospital after seemingly plunging to his death; the adopted child crying, whilst Kitty Zhang’s android character plays teacher; a birthday party for the child.
For more information on worldwide release dates, head to “CJ7″ official site here.
News Extra: It has been rumored that Stephen Chow to direct the remake of “Karate Kid“.
Incoming Search Terms:
- stephen chow cj7 (1)
Trackback URL for this post